« Chris Snyder's Day at Work Worse Than Your's
RCS Blog Home Page
| What To Watch: Thursday »
July 03, 2008
by Robbie Gillies
Yesterday I wrote about the Chiefs fan policy of no standing during the game. The Chiefs VP of Sales and Marketing, Tammy Fruits, attempted to clarify the policy to the local Fox affiliate in Kansas City:
Fruits said the guide should say excessive standing or obstructing views.
She said the organization was taken aback when bloggers assumed the team wanted fans to say seated.
"We want Arrowhead loud and proud like it's always been and you'll see our players waving them up, so that's what surprised us," Fruits said.
Honestly, this makes things worse. Let's take a look at what's considered against rules, according to the full Chiefs fan policy:
• Foul, obscene, offensive or abusive language or actions
• Excessive standing and/or obstructing the view of other fans
• Intoxication or other signs of impairment
• Smoking except in designated areas
• Fighting and unruly or inconsiderate behavior
• Obscene or indecent clothing or signs
• Conduct that endangers spectators or participants
• Harassment of visiting team fans
• Interfering with the progress of the game, going onto the field or
throwing any object onto the field
• Failing to follow instructions of stadium personnel
• Selling items or tickets in the stadium or on sports complex grounds
• Attempting to sit in a location other than the guest’s ticketed seat
• Destroying property
The policy has now been changed to include "excessive standing." When I read this list, they all seem extremely reasonable with the exception of standing. I assumed this would NEVER be enforced. But, by putting standing in the same list as destroying property, running onto the field, and scalping tickets, it makes me assume that the Chiefs think standing is a horrible offense. Then, to deal with the backlash, they sent a marketing person out to simply change the verbiage slightly?
Despite all this, I still it as a non-issue. I don't envision Kansas City being the type of town that will have fans ratting out other fans over standing.