« Cassel-Palin '08 | RCS Blog Home Page | A Fantasy Football Movie? »

Is Vince Young In Serious Trouble? (UPDATED)

by Ryan Hudson

I don't mean the kind of trouble that requires disciplinary actions from the Titans; I mean the kind of trouble that has you worrying about his personal safety because of his emotional well being.

ProFootballTalk reported this morning that rumors surrounding Young were beginning to fly:

The bizarre developments from Monday night regarding Titans quarterback Vince Young are sparking all sorts of questions and rumors regarding precisely what went down.

We’re intrigued by the fact that these rumors were flying not after it became publicly known that Young and coach Jeff Fisher and Metro police met at the team facility at 12:30 a.m., but while the events were transpiring.

Then in today's City Paper in Nashville, Terry McCormick reports that Young was finally located late last night, after he was apparently missing for four hours.
Friends and associates of Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young were concerned enough about the quarterback’s emotional state Monday night that they alerted Coach Jeff Fisher, who called police around 7 p.m.

According to Metro police spokesman Don Aaron, Young “had been emotionally all day when he abruptly left his Williamson County home without his cellphone and sped away.”

Those at Young’s home were concerned about his well-being and state of mind, so they contacted Fisher, who called Metro Police.

“Given the totality of the circumstances, a bulletin was issued to all on-duty officers to be on the lookout for Young’s vehicle,” Aaron said. “Police negotiators were also placed on stand-by not knowing what his emotional status was.”

Efforts were made to locate the quarterback throughout the evening, through various friends and acquaintances, until Fisher, who was in the downtown area with police around 11 p.m., finally made contact with Young on a friend’s cellphone.

According to Aaron, Fisher insisted that Young meet him at Baptist Sports Park so that he could see him. The two met there around 11:30 p.m.

All of this comes the day after he possibly quit on the Titans and then suffered a torn MCL just a few plays later.

Aaron said "that the concern expressed earlier in the evening about his emotional well-being was unfounded," which is somewhat reassuring, but it still seems a bit premature to simply shrug them off after just one brief meeting with his head coach.

UPDATE: Now the police are saying that Young was riding around with an unloaded gun in his car.

The Titans have released this statement:

“Last night, we received a call from people that are closest to Vince informing us that he had left his house in a state of mind that had them concerned; and that he was unreachable, having left his cell phone at the house. Not having all the facts available to us and approaching the matter prudently, we contacted Metro Police to make them aware of the situation and asked for their assistance in locating Vince. He was located at a friend’s house, where we made contact with him. He then came to the practice facility where it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident.”