After the events of the past few weeks, Mets fans are genuinely concerned about the 2009 season. Injuries have decimated the team, key players have been out for some time now, and their return is questionable at best.
Many of the doomsayers are already getting the other teams' rosters and trying to figure just how to break up the "core" players who are at fault for our lack of winning ways. I don't believe that a blow-up is necessary, but that's not the subject of this article.
Let's have some fun. None of the proposed trades have been talked about by any upper-echelon members of the Mets hierarchy; I would know because they haven't contacted me, LOL.
This is just an exercise for the possibility of the Mets not making the playoffs, though some people won't even want to wait that long. There's a sizeable contingent that wants to dismantle this team immediately, so we will be hearing a lot of this.
What I'm looking for is your thoughts on any or all of these proposed trades. Then when the 2010 season begins, we can look back and see what kind of prophets we were.
- Jose Reyes, Ryan Church, and Bobby Parnell for Carl Crawford, Jason Bartlett, and Matt Garza from the Tampa Bay Rays: I might just do this.
- Fernando Martinez, J.J. Putz, Ryan Church, and John Maine for Matt Holliday and Vin Mazzaro from the Oakland Athletics: Interesting, no?
- Jose Reyes, Daniel Murphy, Oliver Perez, and J.J. Putz for Brad Hawpe, Ian Stewart, Jorge de la Rosa and Houston Street from the Colorado Rockies: I stay up nights and dream these things up.
- Carlos Beltran, Mike Pelfrey, and Jose Reyes for Justin Upton, Steven Drew, and Brandon Webb from the Arizona Diamondbacks: This one will get your attention.
- David Wright, Fernando Martinez, Brian Scnneider, and Oliver Perez for Russell Martin, Clayton Kershaw, James Loney, and Matt Kemp: Oh no, not David! Yes, David.
These should get you thinking. Next week I'll put up five more trades which will be even more far-fetched than these.
Remember, anything is possible.