- Brandon Inge going from a .205 average last year to the 2009 Home Run Derby
- Hometown hero Albery Pujols slugging in front of the Cardinals faithful
- The underrated Carlos Pena getting to strut his stuff in front of more than the usual 23,000 at Tropicana Field
- 29 year old Nelson Cruz finally showing why he belongs in the big leagues
However, the finals looked pre-determined, with Cruz and Fielder holding a healthy four home run advantage over Ryan Howard.Â While Howard did win the second round with a big comeback and eight home runs, it was not enough to catch the two front-runners.
After Cruz hit five home runs in the finals, it only took Fielder seven outs to take home the trophy as he blasted six home runs to surpass Cruz.Â I guess that vegetarian diet is working.A couple of things to note:
- Fielder hit the furthest home run at 503 feet.Â Â Â
- I think Pena was trying to work on his OBP.Â The man would not take the bat off his shoulder.
- I have never seen a pitcher so excited to get a home run hit off him as when Pujols hit his fifth in the first round to tie Mauer and Pena.
- Just a personal opinion, but other than Hamilton's first round performance last year, the Derby never seems to live up to the hype.