The Pit Stop

September 30, 2007 7:26 PM

Biffle finally wins rain shortened race.

Bad weather is in the air for the Life Lock 400 in Kansas and over the day caused the race to be shortened. “Being in the back is my biggest concern,” said poll sitter Jimmy Johnson who is in the back of the pack after going to his backup car for an accident in practice.

After 12 green flag laps with Matt Kenseth in the lead saw the caution come out for rain. It was a brief shower that brought out a 45-minute red flag.  During the red flag-time when chaser Jeff Burton was taking the tarp off his car got caught trying to make a change to his car and got caught sending him to the back of the field.

After getting back to green flag racing the first chaser to wind up with some problems was Kyle Busch on lap 27 with some help from Dale Jr. sent him into the wall.  “I don’t know,” said Kyle Busch on the accident.  He also said it was a “pretty stupid move” on Dale Jr,’s part.

The next chaser to get into a problem was Martin Truex Jr. on lap 32 who lost a tire.  He was able to stay on the lead lap though.

Lap 60 saw a Kenny Wallace spin while trying to get on pit road.

Chaser Jeff Burton and his day went from bad to worse as his car fully stopped on the racetrack on lap 69.  Jeff over the radio said, ”Got no fuel pressure.”

Lap 88 saw a Robby Gordon spin and then on lap 99 a debris caution.  This finally led to a long enough of a green flag run that got green flag pit stops to occur around lap 140.  At the same time more rain was very close on the racetrack.  Chaser Kurt Busch who had been leading the race for a while went in for tires and fuel.  At lap 146 the caution came out for some massive rain with Tony Stewart on the last of his fuel in the lead of the race.  At lap 149 the second red flag comes out, this time with lightning also in the area.

After 20 minutes of red flag time the dryers come out on the racetrack and a whole two hours later the drivers have been called back into the cars. Around 7:05EST they finally got the cars on the racetrack again and NASCAR says they are going to attempt to go to lap 225.  Pit road was open immediately and a bunch of cars that did not pit came in for tires and fuel.

With a bunch of cars at the tail end of the lead lap, the green flag drops and it got crazy super quickly.  With some three wide racing go on a mega wreck occurs as Kenny Schrader spins out and collecting Bobby Labonte and David Gillialnd.  Chasers Martin Truex Jr., Tony Stewart, and Matt Kenseth got involved as well.

Getting the lead at the drop of the green flag with 60 laps to go is Kevin Harvick.  Tony Stewart has a big amount of tire smoke and after a couple laps it was not much at all.   With 52 laps to go Greg Biffle took the lead of the race.  With 50 to go Tony Stewart blows a tire and then Kurt Busch smacks right into him and then Tony collects chaser Carl Edwards. “I didn’t see it,” said Carl Edwards.  At first he stated Kurt Busch might have got into him and then stated Tony may have had a tire problem.  Now NASCAR has chopped the race down to 210 laps.

The green flag drops with 27 laps to go with Greg Biffle still in the lead but quickly went back to caution when Jamie McMurray got into Paul Menard and then collected chaser Denny Hamlin.

The green flag drops again and in a couple of laps Clint Bowyer moved into second place while Jimmy Johnson started moving up the field in a hurry.  With 14 laps to go Jimmy is in third place.  With four laps left Juan Pablo Montoya left a whole bunch of debris on the racetrack   NASCAR then says that due to darkness the race will not start again and Greg Biffle finally wins this race.

Biffle stated that he still had some gas in the car and did not really know how he missed the lap 155 wreck.

“I don’t know what to think,” said Clint Bowyer on the finish.

At the end of the race day Jimmy Johnson leads the points.  Jeff Gordon is second only 6 points back and Clint Bowyer is third 14 points back.

A Member Of