The Pit Stop

August 10, 2009 8:30 PM

Tony dominates again at Watkins Glen.

For the second week in a row Sprint Cup drivers had some Monday racing.  This time it was some road course action at Watkins Glen.  Qualifying for the race was not rained out and Jimmie Johnson was the poll setter.

The last time we had a Monday race at Watkins Glen was in 1987.

Rain though could still play a roll in today's action.

When the green flag finally dropped Kurt Busch was able to win the race into turn one for the lead of the race.  Then Kurt stared to break out in a big lead.   On the next lap Denny Hamlin was able to pass Jimmie for second place.

At lap 8 Bobby Labointe spins out, but does not cause a caution.  Three laps latter Marcos Ambrose was able to pass Jimmie Johnson for third place.  The first caution finally came out on lap 18 for debris.

This caution brought in most of the cars on the lead lap for service with Kurt Busch winning the race off pit road. Getting speeding penalties this rime were Dale Jr., Jeff Burton, and Denny Hamliin.  Marcos Ambrose and a couple other cars stay out to take track position.

At the drop of the green flag Marcos won the race for first place.  At lap 22 it was Patrick Carpentier spinning out, but did not bring out the caution.  On the next lap in the bus stop chicane area David Stremme gets in the grass, gets loose and then takes out Jeff Gordon and Kevin Harvick to bring out the caution.

Kevin Harvick stated it looked like David Stremme was going through the grass.

This caution only brought in some cars on the lead lap, but Marcos still stayed out.  He wound up being the only car to have not made a pit stop yet.

The green flag dropped and Marcos was able to win the lead of the race, but at the end of the lap Kurt Busch got side by side with Marcos to take the lead of the race. Kurt though did pop into pit road on lap 29 for gas service only.  Marcos finally stopped on lap 31 for his first time today.

This put Jimmie Johnson into the lead of the race.  Then the next driver to get the lead was Kyle Busch at lap 33

At lap 37 it was a Joey Logano spin that did not bring out the caution.  At lap 42 the next caution came out as Dale Jr. gets on the rumble strips, then winds up hitting Reed Sorenson who has nowhere to go.  Dale and Reed go into the gravel pit with Dale smashing his car hard into the wall while Reed was able to drive away.

"I tried to miss the 43, but couldn't do it," said Dale Jr.

This caution brought in cars in the back for service.   At the drop of the green flag it was Tony Stewart winning the war for the lead of the race.
At lap 50 Boris Said and his overheating car came down pit road for service. Four laps later and Ryan Newman spun his car around, but did not bring out the caution.  On the next lap it was a Jimmie Johnson spin.   A whole bunch of cars also on this lap and next started to come in for service.

Tony Stewart came in for service at the end of lap 56.  Kurt Busch then started to lead a couple laps and then came down to pit road.  Then it was time for David Stemme to lead a lap before coming in fore service. That left Scott Speed in the lead.

The next caution was a violent wreck as Kasey Kahne gets loose which causes Sam Hornish Jr. to go into the grass, then he hits tire barrier.  Sam spinning fast smashes hard into Jeff Gordon. Andy Lally, and Jeff Burton get collected. Joey Logano barely missed getting hit by Sam and his car.  This brought out the red flag on lap 63 to clean up a mess load of debris.

Over the radio Kasey said he got loose.  "It was a hard hit," said Jeff Burton.  Jeff also stated he was happy with his car and that it was nothing he could do.  "Pretty big hit," said Sam Hornish Jr.  "It is not what I needed," said Jeff Gordon.  He stated that he was hoping to avoid Sam.

Over 35 minutes of red flag condition and the cars fired up.  Scott Speed finally pits on lap 64 putting Kyle Busch back into the lead of the race.   After the green flag finally drops and Tony Stewart was able to win the war for the lead of the race.

Kyle Busch with a tight racecar started to slowly go backwards.  At lap 71 it was the caution again as Elliott Sadler blows a tire. 

The green flag drops and Tony Stewart won the race for first place.  With 11 laps left Kyle Busch goes though the grass at the end of the bus stop chicane giving Carl Edwards the third place. 

In the final laps Marcos Ambrose was closing in big time on Tony Stewart as he was stuck trying to save some fuel.  He had enough fuel along with most of the cars on the lead lap.

"We were not good enough at the beginning to win," said Tony Stewart.    He said he was stronger that Marcos in parts on the race track.

"I was closing in," said Marcos Ambrose.

"It's huge." said Carl on his finish

"It was really good," said Greg Biffle on his finish.

At the end of the race Tony Stewart leads Jimmie Johnson by 260 points.

A Member Of