Conventional thinking got thrown for a loss around the NFL on Sunday when five of the top six teams in the Grill Room's NFL 100-PROOF RANKINGS went down in flames.
No matter, all that's true and blue about America still stands today after the N.Y. Football Giants went deep in the heart of Texas to christen Jerry Jones' billion-dollar death star by presenting him his fat head on a silver platter.
Giants' quarterback Eli Manning (330 yds, 2 TDs) got revenge against greedy oilmen for Eli's everywhere when he engineered a last-minute drive that resulted in Lawrence Tynes' game-winning, 37-yard FG as the clock expired.
After their 33-31 victory, the No. 3 Giants' were the only top team to survive an unpredictable day around the NFL.
With so much to chew on, we once again offer up platters of bountiful opinion from sports writers and columnists in every NFL city.
If you want baloney and cheese, turn on ESPN and skedaddle. But if you're brave enough to read the writing on the wall, pull up a chair and dig in, while we crack open the morning paper.
In the Grill Room, we still love the newspaper business, even if it hates itself.
(3) N.Y. Giants 33
(9) Dallas 31
- Even Jones' billions can't buy a team that shoots straight...
- ...and the owner probably should choose his guests more wisely.
(4) New England 9
- Last week the Jets did the talking. On Sunday they did the walking -- all over the Patsies.
- The Patriots are what they are: in trouble.
(25) Carolina 20
- The high-flying Falcons still have everything to prove -- to themselves.
- Panthers now counting consolation prizes, not wins.
(12) Green Bay 24
- Cincinnati took off the kid gloves Sunday, and played like a bunch of grown-ups.
- Maybe the Packers should push the panic button...if they can find it.
(6) Tennessee 31
- A Texas-sized question: Who are these guys, anyway?
- Titans players bump into each other while trying escape that dark cloud.
(32) Detroit 13
- Favre only too happy to hand the ball and spotlight to Peterson.
- Rookie Stafford only too happy to throw the ball to the opponent.
(20) Jacksonville 17
- The Cardinals felt the heat and frolicked in the Sunshine State.
- Local fans can be thankful they were left in the dark.
(2) Philadelphia 22
- Saints' decision to play smart knocked Philly senseless.
- Don't put the blame on QB Kolb, as Eagle defense rests.
(29) Kansas City 10
- For Raiders, winning ugly sure beats the putrid losses of the past.
- Incompetent Chiefs' coach should fire himself.
(31) St. Louis 7
- Zorn's allergy to the end zone could be a real career-killer.
- Rams' growing pains start in the brain.
(28) Tampa Bay 20
- The Bills finally ordered up some home cooking and it only cost them a few Bucs.
- No telling where Tampa Bay might cash its first win.
(17) Seattle 10 (15) Chicago 17
(1) Pittsburgh 14
- This version of Cutler so much easier to Bear.
- Steelers kicking themselves after latest Chicago disaster.
(5) San Diego 26
- The Ravens have a secondary concern after short-circuiting Bolts.
- San Diego pays the price for going in the red.
(30) Cleveland 6
(*) Denotes the Grill Room's NFL 100-PROOF RANKING