2. Gilbert Arenas
Gilbert Arenas is so odd that his entire way of life has a term to describe it - "Gilbertology." Everything he does, on and off the court, is entertaining. He once took a shower at halftime, in full uniform. Before games, he liked to hide teammates' jerseys and make them look for it.
You want nicknames? He's got them too: The Black President, Agent Zero, East Coast Assassin, and Hibachi, to name a few.
He got an entire box of all-star ballots in order to vote for himself on each one.
When shooting, Arenas has been known to yell, "Hibachi," or "Quality Shots," as he lets the ball fly.
After crusading to put up big numbers against team USA coaches that left Arenas off the squad, Mike D'Antoni said, "I can't wait to see what he does against Duke." Arenas responded, saying he'd score 84 or 85 points, and added "I wouldn't pass the ball. I wouldn't even think about passing it. It would be like NBA Live or an NBA 2K7 game, you just shoot with one person."
For the quintessential look into Arenas and his odd habits, just read this Esquire interview from 2006. Some highlights:
- He is an avid video gamer, with Halo and basketball games being his passion. He bet his friend he would beat him by 200 points in NBA 2k6, he won by 199 (331-132).
- Gil loves burgers, LOVES them. To quote: "On the road, I eat hamburgers every day. The team tries to get me to eat differently, but no. Burgers, burgers, burgers. I like burgers. McDonald's burgers. Wendy's burgers. Burger King burgers. There's this one place in Canada--I even look at the schedule to find out when we play there--best burger I've ever tasted. Real soft and sweet. I ate twelve of them in one night."
- In his first 6 seasons Gil estimated he left his hotel at road games a total of six times.
- Everyday Arenas goes to the video store and buys as many DVDs as he can carry at once.
- When he gets a new phone, he calls it repeatedly until he fills up his voice mail so no one can leave him messages.
- He has an idea for a commercial which ends with a kid in a wheelchair clotheslining a little girl to get one of Arenas' shoes.